Monday, November 9, 2009

Canyon of Heroes: Introduction

Dad, if you haven't seen, I responded to your comment (it'll be hidden by the time these post).


I've decided to break these next few posts up into easily fashioned anecdotes and congruent photographs, otherwise it could devolve into a series of pictures like the one at the bottom of this page, hundreds of them strewn out every few pictures from the scene and morning, slowing down the coherence.


One of the goals I had lined up for myself for "something to do before I die" was to be able to be living in a city that had a sports team win their championship. I was thinking that maybe that could have been a Mexican soccer team (if we ever lived in a large enough city) or possibly some great big American college town and a national championship in something.


That goal was accomplished back in Feb 2008, when the Giants played one of the best Super Bowls in history, beating the Patriots and spoiling their bid for a season of utter perfection.


In New York, as well as in most other cities, when a major team accomplishes a championship feat, that city throws the winners a "ticker-tape parade", even though they stopped using ticker tape almost fifty years ago (more than fifty?). Today, what they do is dump a few tons of shredded paper and confetti to give the same effect. Who needs recycling?


Now, in 2008 I missed the Giants parade because I had to work, and didn't feel right calling in sick. This year I didn't really have that problem, since my work week is pretty short, but, I would've called in sick this year because, well, this is the Yankees, my Yankees, and I'm here, and this is the parade I always wanted to attend.


This is what every fifth or so picture looks like, what I mentioned earlier, and while I think they're pretty cool pictures, there's only so much narrative you can accomplish with that...


No comments:

Post a Comment