Wednesday, November 4, 2009

YANKEES!

My Yankees won their first World Series title since 2000 this evening. Hideki Matsui, the Japanese slugger imported before the 2003 season won the WS MVP award, which is interesting because he's been a full-time DH (designated sitting-on-the-bench-and-waiting-for-your-turn-to-smack-the-ball-guy) during both the regular season and World Series. He didn't even get to play in Philadelphia because his knees are achy(bad)(shot)(surgeries on each one over the last two years).


Tonight he killed the ball. He hit over .600 for the Series. Good for him. My dad's favorite current Yankee.


I got back yesterday from New Orleans and Louisiana and will post on that stuff pretty soon.


I told Tony that one reason I felt the Yanks were going to win was because I paid money for a Brooklyn Dodger hat instead of a Yankee hat in some kind of protest to their fan-gouging tactics at their new stadium; it was a mild way to forsake them. In 2007 I paid more attention to the Jets than the Giants, mildly forsaking the Giants, the team I always considered my team, and they won it all. I felt that it could happen with the Spankees as well, and I would take that as a consequence of sporting my borough's colors over my team's.


Go Yankees.

3 comments:

  1. I thought Johnny Damon did a brilliant job too... Congrats on the teams series win. I thought for the most part this was a gret series. I just wish the darn thing was played in Ootober and completed in October. It's silly to drag the season out this long. No Day Games allowed because football controls the TV market on the weekends.... greedy greedy greedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you know Hideki was my fave? Did I mention it when I was there?

    It's a great moment - finally a ring for Hideki, and his has an exclamation point!

    So, who do you think they'll bring back? Him or Damon? If Mr. Matsui doesn't come back, this really defines going out on top, wouldn't you say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey pop...you did mention that Matsui was your favorite when you were out here...

    MVP! MVP! The papers here said that Matsui is the biggest story in Japan, and even the Japanese Premier was talking about him in an address.

    I think it would be wise to bring him back, probably the same with Damon, but neither really help them get younger or cheaper, which is what the brass has been saying will be their goal since Cano flipped Victorino's grounder to Tex. Out on top? I guess Elway's exit could be the only thing bigger...Maybe Reggie White, but he wasn't MVP...

    ReplyDelete