Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving has been close to my heart since I was living in that great big flop-house on Oceanaire. We had Corrie anbd Marc who weren't from California and weren't going to go home for the last week in November. Tony and I would stick around and Ryan would usually join us after a family feast in Morro Bay or Van Nuys. Thanksgiving became our holidy, the one we celebrated with and for ourselves. Usually our Thanksgivings would devolve into an attempt to be the gluttony kings of the Central Coast.

One year Tony made two trays of lasagna to accompany my turkey, both trays having both ground beef and pork sausage. The next year we went to the store looking for the largest turkey available and came away with a thirty-seven pounder. The next year Ryan purchased and Corrie and I made while Ryan was at work a fabled Turducken. The next year we deep-fryed a turkey and, since it had to be done outside, we odored the air with Chinese-food restaurant smells due to the peanut oil we used. Not to be outdone with a small turkey, since to deep-fry a turkey it needs to be small (at most 14-15 pounds), I roasted a similarly sized "small" turkey. One year Marc made baked-ziti using meatballs supplied by our friend Katrina, who shot and killed the moose that supplied the meat for the meatballs.

That a holiday is based on feelings of thanks and contented-ness is probably the main reason why Thanksgiving ranks so high on my list of favorite holidays...it's probably a close second to St. Paddy's...that specific day is easy for me to get behind, being Irish, named Patrick, and a fan of whiskey.

In November, though, I just love cooking and eating turkey.

1 comment:

  1. it was great talking with you on Thanksgiving... I hope your dinner was wonderful, I chose to spend the day at the movies, saw The Blind Side and Precious, Amazing movies. Hope to see The Road before the weekend is finished.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete