Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Note for Norm: Part 2

When we moved into the house in Austin, there were bookshelves already here, and the collection of books had been assembled by our roommates, Rachel and Stephanie, and an assortment of their friends and family.

There's a cool collection of comic books from the late fifties, mostly Disney, Archie, and later the girly model comics.

But, the tiny note that makes this post "a note for Norm" is one book Corrie saw early when we moved in. She held up a book I'd heard of before (I'm familiar with the film also, but haven't seen it) and said, "Check this out...the blurb on the front is written by Pynchon."

The quote of praise on the books cover was indeed written--or supplied in some manner--by Thomas Pynchon.

The book is Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, by Tom Robbins, a near contemporary of TP. I've started reading it while sitting in the bathroom. After reading the first few chapters, which take about three pages each, I realized that the story was the kind of story that I would write. It's esoteric, quirky, funny, and sexy. The characters are like I would create, and the action is similar. The details specific to ...Cowgirls... I wouldn't have come up with, but the manner in which they are presented is similar to mine.

One criteria for me when I write stories is, "Would I like to read this?" So I thought it was kinda neat when I find a book that sounds to me like me, being praised by my favorite writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment