Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Now that I'm off work and have finished spoiling my cat (not that he gets that much, but oh how he loves stuffing with a touch of gravy), I wanted to ruminate on Thanksgiving a little. During the slow points at work this afternoon, when I was at the height of motivation to complete a true rumination on this day, the computers wouldn't let me log into this blog site--part of the banned content, gmail and the like. That thwarted me and sapped my desire.

So now I don't feel like giving such an effort to solidly ruminate, so I'll give just a few thoughts.

Thanksgiving as a holiday feast has many various beginnings, one of the oldest being something that predates America, the colonies here, or natives sharing food with them. One of the most basic things our Thanksgiving Day festivities mimic is a harvest feast. The workers during a harvest season work very hard, and mostly can't consume what they're harvesting. Once the work is done, there would be a large feast with plenty of overeating and over drinking of whatever grog or beer was available. It wasn't a celebration where you gave a gift to someone else, like those pagan holidays that "Christmas" has copied, but rather a celebration where you receive gifts from the earth. Earth gives you the gifts.

Another thing that I think is cool, and noticed before, I guess, is that the food, the feast, tends towards the same colors as autumn; golds, oranges, warm creams, and soft reds.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you weren't too busy yesterday working. I did spend the afternoon with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows... then home to fresh green beans and lasagna.... then today Friday was at the stores at 3 am for the insanity that I so enjoy... Hope that cat knows how much he is loved... cause he is a cutie...

    ReplyDelete