Monday, November 29, 2010

RIP Leslie Nielsen

Some things I didn't know about an actor I really enjoyed watching, who died last night in his sleep at a hospital in Ft. Lauderdale.

1) Was born in Saskatchewan in 1928
2) Enlisted in the Royal Air Force and trained to be a rear-gunner, but was deemed too young to be sent overseas
3) Worked as a disc jockey in Calgary before winning an acting scholarship
4) Was active into his eighties, even playing Clarence Darrow on the stage in his one-man show Darrow
5) Brother Erik was Deputy Prime Minister of Canada in the 80s
6) He looked pretty young and spiffy as the lead in 1956's Forbidden Planet


Something I did know about Leslie Nielsen:

1) Lt. Frank Drebin and Police Squad! introduced me to the Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker absurdist style of comedy and altered my reality. I was young and impressionable.

Leslie Nielsen will be remembered fondly by this blogger.

1 comment:

  1. Yes this news made me sad today. Considering his comedic change towards the end of his career, it seems difficult to watch is serious movies. Leslie provided me with hours of enjoyment, may he RIP.

    ReplyDelete