Saturday, November 27, 2010

Linda and the Camera

Our good friend Linda realized, while on the plane out to visit us here in Austin, that she'd forgotten her camera. I let her use our camera to take any picture she wanted, and she held it for a while during a walk around downtown on their last day. I've since emailed the pictures to her, but some I like enough to put up here.

This is probably my favorite picture she took. You get the Frost Bank tower in the background behind Buffalo Billiards, a poolhall and bar that dates back to the late nineteenth century and, according to a local newscast, is haunted. I've been a big fan of asymmetrical juxtaposition photographs for a long time, and this one, capturing the "old Texas" saloon image with the "new Texas" post-modern glass tower, definitely counts.



Linda was very excited when we came across a restaurant named Spaghetti Warehouse; she professed her love for the string pasta. She tried, and succeeded, to frame-out the entrance and fill the upper half of the picture with downtown's towers.



Here'a another nice downtown frame with the Frost Bank tower captured wholly.



There were a plethora of these types of advertising banners for ACL, and Linda said she felt obliged to take a picture of it.



Here's one she took of us at Mt. Bonnell.



Linda and I are the amatuer photographers. Corrie could be a professional. The eye it takes to come up with homeruns in photography is present in folks like Linda and I, but in Corrie and Marc it's more of a characteristic than a presence.

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures. I don't even rate amateur, but I keep trying, nice shots of old and new Austin.

    ReplyDelete