Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Something Familiar

The media presence in New York surrounding the Yankees (and Knicks in good years) is pervasive in the least and is matched mostly in major European and South American soccer cities, and probably the Tokyo baseball market.

As I've said before, Texas, while not really a baseball place, is absolutely mad about its football. That similar media scrutiny is felt here, two-hundred miles south of the source. Observe:

"The Dallas Cowboys have finally hit rock bottom. The dream season has crumbled into the abyss. Not only is there no hope for recovery, the Cowboys don't even know where to turn."

Those are the opening three sentences from the analysis providided by Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. His column ran yesterday, the day after the Cowboys quit against the Jacksonville Jaguars and were stampeded. They "played" so poorly that they made a rather mediocre Jacksonville team look like the '85 Bears on defense with a young Dan Marino on offense.

That melodramatic tone in Clarence Hill's column is the kind of drivel that I read everyday in New York about my team, and while it's annoying and a waste writer's talent and reader's time, there's only so much actual news about a given team that can be printed in a newspaper, and that doesn't sell papers. (It's usually found in two spots: the "Notebook" section that details how an injured player's practive went; and the "Transactions" section, where you can see who's been sent down and who's been called up, or worse, been cut)

When I read it as a Yankee fan, I knew it was ludicrous crap, but I like reading and I like the Yankees, so it was the combo I got into. You just make jokes about it, like the writers fretting about the Yankee's Wild Card position in mid-May (true story, that year was 2007).

When I read it about the Cowboys, a team I pretty much loathe, at first I chuckle about their plight, then I kind of grow nostalgic for the time when as a reader you feel like trying to calm the writer down about the team you both love. Then I just smile, because the Cowboys suck this year.

What do you call sixty millionaires watching the Super Bowl?

The Dallas Cowboys.

1 comment:

  1. I can remember when the Cowboys were proudly called America's Team.... I didn't like them then and really don't care much for them now... as I'm in a town with a mid to poor team the Cardinals I do follow them to some degree... sometimes they show real inspiration, other times eh? You are kidding that was your play call at 2nd and long?
    I no longer read the sports page, as there is no need to see how bad the dodgers sucked last night... I'll return to that section in April... hopefully the suck section will be removed and it will be glory days again.. <:-)


    When will Corrie find out the news?

    ReplyDelete