Thursday, August 8, 2013

Transitions...

I know it's been almost a month since posting anything before the just posted Ry-Birthday post (which I habitually lag on...). I was wildly busy with this program, riding my bike all over a tiny slice of South Central Los Angeles, and now that this summer program will be ending, I'll be transitioning into a different role.

I will, I'm guessing, have a bit more time open to get to this creative outlet. This past summer (which technically is still on the calendar) the bulk of my hours not spent out and about was spent writing papers, which was right up my alley, but took time away from my book and various blogs. That's just how things work sometimes.

Then, Corrie and I went to New York to spend a week before my cousin Liz's wedding in the Berkshires, and while that was great and easy to transition back into being New Yorkers, my laptop was at home and I was trying to avoid wordsmithing. Which, for me, is difficult.

I'll be getting to all that--the trip, the wedding, the weird feeling that we'd been away from the City for only a week--but probably after I get a new laptop in the coming weeks. That's when I'll get to the small list of posts I mentioned nearly a month ago.

When we got back to the apartment after nearly ten days away, there was another critter that was having a difficult time with transitions: Tuxedo. The first night back, Sunday, he was all over us, meowing and needing attention. After we went to bed, he waited until maybe 4 am, and started screaming in our face and using a new move I guess he taught himself: head-butting us in our foreheads. Literally, like a ram fighting another ram, he was butting us with the crown of his skull--just to wake us up! I don't think he was being needy for food, since his calls at those times have more of demanding urgency. This was more of sad longing "pay attention to me" type of whine.

It got better by Tuesday night, mostly, and Tux seems to have finished transitioning back to us being at home.

Here's a link to an article in the LA Times about the program with which I've been involved. I have a story about the writer of this article, but I need to do a little research before going into it.

I'll be back, just maybe in a few days...

No comments:

Post a Comment