Monday, August 15, 2011

Useless Post about Current Writing Project

I mentioned recently about having material not-yet ready to send to an agent, or editor (my father or wife or both) in a post about Publish America. This "Useless Post" mentions that material briefly.

In a post I'm cooking up on bicycles, I came across the terms "recumbent" and "prone" as the first parts of compound nouns with "bikes" the second term.

Recumbent bikes I'd heard of before, and are popular in SLO. These are the sitting in a chair type, and are easy to remember in that riders look like they're reclining. Recumbent--reclining...it makes a certain sense.

Prone bikes, though, I'm not sure I'd heard of, but maybe I'd seen somewhere. These bikes have the rider in the prone position, lying down like Superman on a pad.

It looks pretty weird.

I mention it only because the novel I'm working on that's the farthest along in development sports a facsimile of my alma mater, Cal Poly. In reality Cal Poly is California Polytechnic State University; in my story I've changed it to California Prone Specificity State University, and have switched the easy moniker "Cal Poly" to "Cali Prone". I wanted a tri-syllabic phrase with one part having the hard E sound.

Oh shit...I may have said too much. I don't like discussing my fiction projects on this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment