Saturday, October 29, 2011

How You Look at Something...

While doing laundry the other day I went for a walk to grab a cup of coffee. I heard that right around the corner was a coffee shop, and after putting the (chlorine free) bleach into my coats load, I headed out "around the corner." Suffice it to say that it was the wrong corner. But I did catch a glimpse of something that caught my attention. Probably because of the way I was looking at it, but it somehow inspired my imagination.

I went back later when the sky was blue to record it with my camera:



It's just window sconces and shading devices, but from this angle it got me.

Since I couldn't find the coffee shop last week on the close block, I decided this week to go to Ocean Blvd, the next commercial corner down. Before I got to Ocean, I spotted a different coffee vendor across Alamitos, sprinted between traffic, and chose to give them a go. I'd be out here again next Friday doing laundry, I reasoned, so there was plenty of time for me to find that first shop.

The baristo (is that correct for a guy?), though, at the place I went to disappointed when he charged me full price for coffee when I brought my own cup. He struck me as the owner of the cafe, and like he'd never actually worked there. Small cafe etiquette seemed lost on him: a guest that brings their own cup is rewarded for their stance on the environment by not paying full price, usually just a single dollar, maybe a buck-and-a-half.

Anyway, on the walk back to the laundromat, I came across this guy, as part of a pair.



Pretty neat and expressive elephant.

Really, though, I could litter this blog with this kind of crazy crap. I try to do more, maybe. I'm interested in more, anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment