Thursday, October 27, 2011

Universal Studios

Two amusement parks in one month!

At work we took some of our coordinators, a class of worker we've empowered with responsibilities and expectations, out on an excursion to Universal Studios in Hollywood, in an effort to build bonds and buy some goodwill when the madness of December arrives.

It was my first trip in probably 25 years. (That's the kind of thing that makes me feel old.)

I'm not sure exactly what I expected. Maybe more roller coasters. There was really only one true coaster: the Mummy. That ride was fun, but short, but the fact there was no line (on a Monday at 11 am) made it okay. It does, though, have a jarring/screeching halt that almost made me defecate in my pants, due to the placement of the lap restraint.

The Simpsons Ride was a little nauseating at first, but after getting into it, it was cool to see some new (to me) 3D style Simpson content. An immersion ride, like many of the rides at Universal, and all were apt to spritz water in your face.

Jurassic Park gets you wet; the tram ride is meandering and mellow, taking a trip through the back-lot of NBC and Universal's California productions; the Water World show was kinda cool, proving once again that the villain is the only interesting character in that story (melodramas in general?).

Here're some pictures...

The Simpson's Ride:



Water World show in action:



The badguy:



The courthouse from Back to the Future, after having been remade for Ghost Whisperer:



One of the more famous buildings in Hollywood, the three-quarter scale built Bates mansion:



I like the look of the fake city at a distance:



One of the remarkable things out here was a four tiered escalator winding down the side of the mountain. You can't even see the top long escalator:



Overall I had a good time. I didn't have to pay or drive, and we didn't have to wait for more than thirty minutes in line total...all things that enhanced my enjoyment.

Now we need to hit up a real roller coaster park, like Six Flags Magic Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment