Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Day Game in Glendale

The next day of our visit was a game that only my mom and I went to, since we're the true baseball fans of our previous evening's foursome. Corrie was off exploring the self-sustaining architectural utopian experiment Archosanti while we went to see the Dodgers play the Indians.

This time we sat in nearly the same spot, only along the first-base side, but still right above the dugout.

The sun was bright and my exposed skin was slathered with sun-screen. We ate big bowls of noodles...it was my first time at a ballpark where I used chop-sticks.

My mom and I had a conversation about the lame Cleveland cap logo of the day, the block "C". I was saying that while it may be more appropriate that the Chief Wahoo logo they regularly wear, they could do well by switching to the elegant cursive "I". That "I" was showing at the moment on the scoreboard. I guess a kid sitting next to us overheard, and being an Indians fan (from Oregon), decided to go find the cursive "I" cap at the team store. He got forty bucks from his dad for a hat and disappeared.

Now, would you go to Yankees Stadium as a fan of another team and expect to be able to buy that other team's gear at the Park? The boy returned almost an hour later sporting a new cap. His dad said, "Uhh, what's that?" "Oh, isn't it cool, dad. This 'A' with the circle on top..." He'd bought an Angels cap. The fact an Angels cap was there kinda surprised me, but it was an LA heavy crowd, so...

The dad asked for his change, and the kid dropped sixty-five cents in his hand. "Where's the rest?" he asked. "Nah, that's all," the kid said while reinvesting himself into the game.

The game itself was exciting. The Indians took an early lead, the Dodgers eventually tied it, then overtook them, and held on for the victory. We got to see Matt Kemp, arguably the best player in baseball right now:




And we even got to see Shelley Duncan, formerly a Yankee phenom who came up as a rookie in 2007 and couldn't stop hitting homers (that happened early the next season) and who currently is trying to make it as an Indian. To let you know how his chances are shaking out, he pinch-hit late in the game. He did draw a walk, though, so maybe his patience is improving:



It was a nice afternoon at the ballpark.

No comments:

Post a Comment