Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Quote Contest (Sort of)

I found a quote while reading that I thought was poignant and timely, and I'm going to transcribe it here. This isn't a contest in any real way, and I feel that by the end of the quote the writer will give themselves away, so the real trivia here is when the piece was written, or what is the piece's name...


Bonus points for naming the character who says the quote, as it is dialogue.


"

And now the whole nation--pulpit and all--will take up the war cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open. Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.

"


I'll name the information in a few days, or sooner if somebody nails it quickly...

3 comments:

  1. O.K., I am so tempted to cheat this out, it kills me. But alas, I am prompted to remain honest. I have no answers to your contest, but I do have something better!!! The delivery of most likely obvious news.......'Inherent Vice' is released in a mere 6 days!!!! How's that to show where my head really is!!!!!! By the way, I so could have cheated.....but I'll wait for the answer from a poster or you.....and whoever wrote that was hopefully heralded as a genious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about cheating, brother, if you want to find out, go ahead, maybe refrain from posting the answer...

    'Inherent Vice'!! Oh yeah, man...Corrie is almost done with 'Vineland', and she likes it, and is falling under the TP influence. Check out this link if you have time, it's a review from the New Yorker of 'Inherent Vice'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing Twain, on the verge of the Spanish-American War.

    ReplyDelete