Friday, May 13, 2011

Something Familiar, Part Two

Last November I wrote a post called Something Familiar about the Texan media presence and the under-performance of the Dallas Cowboys and how it reminded me of New York.

Well again, a few months later, using my one speaker to listen to the radio on my commute to work, I switch between NPR and some sports talk radio. Here the media presence is again about the apocalypse.

If Texas loves its football, and New York loves its Yankees and Knicks, out here, in LA, they live and breathe Kobe and the Lakers.

They got swept! They could have won both game 1 and 3! Phil Jackson is leaving! Kobe's too old! Bynum is a young jerk! What happened with Pau? Who do we add after blowing up the team?

On and on it goes. Since I don't have any emotional interest in the Lakers, I find all the fretting and soul searching rather amusing.

Again, though, I'm reminded of that New York scrutiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment