Friday, April 1, 2011

Funny Auto-Spell Shenanigans

I have an old cell phone that doesn't have a fancy Qwerty keyboard--I still have the Auto-spell or Auto guess, where it tries to guess what you're trying to spell as you spell it.

My last phone would give you the opportunity to let it fill in the rest of the word, but my current phone doesn't do that. Once you spell it all, you may have to cycle through the choices to get to what you want. Once I had to cycle through four words that were not what I wanted to get to the fifth and actual word I was trying to type. I wish I could remember what that one was...

In any case, I was watching the opening night baseball game between my mom's beloved Dodgers versus the despised Giants. The Dodgers were winning (and eventually won) and while they prepared to bat in the bottom of the eighth inning, I texted my mom, who I was pretty sure was watching the game (she loves baseball and the Dodgers).

I was sending reassurances, and tried to type "...only three outs to go." I miss hit one key, but the result didn't hit my eye right away. When I try to type "go", it usually puts up "in". That might be the most common switch I need to make, that or manually switching "might" to "night". This time I noticed it ended with "in", and went to change it, and started to see more mistakes.

But once I realized, to my horror and with a hearty laugh, what I was about to send, I knew that I had a blog post: my phone had tried to send "...only three outs to go" as "...only tired nuts up in."

Only tired nuts up in.

Only tired nuts up in.

Wow.

2 comments:

  1. Now that message makes sense.... thanks for the explanation.... I have a new fancy phone that puts in what it thinks I mean... it I don't look first I send some very odd messages...

    ReplyDelete
  2. check out damnyouautocorrect.com. pretty funny stuff

    ReplyDelete