Thursday, September 15, 2011

Some of our Large Murals

Murals and friezes and large scale public works of art have been commissioned by municipal leaders for thousands of years. That tradition lives on in Long Beach.

This mural was just finished and unveiled in a daytime ceremony that I missed because my paper didn't come that day. It's down the street from my place and an article mentioned the ceremony on the first page (the paper was delivered the next day). It was during a time when I wasn't going to be at work, so I would've gone.

The mural shows the history of our fair oil- and aviation-boom town. Using the building next to it, one can see how tall the thing really is:



This large painting is on the side of parking garage down our exact street. It showcases the Latino heritage in the Southland:



This piece is a ceramic tile mosaic. I imagine it is the what this 'hood looked like before:



There are many more, a surprisingly large amount, really, and I plan on showcasing them here. Ever since we used to walk by a large scale mural in Santa Monica on the way to the beach when I was a kid, a mural that spans an underpass, I've been fascinated.

No comments:

Post a Comment