Friday, January 7, 2011

Boxing Day: Ravioli Fest

Boxing Day is the day after Christmas and is still celebrated in Canada, England, and various other former commonwealth nations. It derives its name from the act of opening boxes in the morning after Christmas. Okay...

At my Auntie Peg and Uncle Dan's on Boxing Day the tradtion is to make raviolis with the leftover crab from the Christmas Eve dinner feast (between my cousin Mike, Norm, and I...sheesh, we put a dent on some dungeness reserves) as well as the normal ricotta and spinach ravioli.

Corrie helped out and took on an important role as baller of the filling, a skill she's perfected with years of making tiny dough balls for ginger snap cookies.





We left later that evening, after getting to sample the wonderful ravioli. Our flight left from the Long Beach airport, and while en route my Uncle Dan gave us a histoy lesson on the development and growth of Los Angeles.

Thank you everyone for such a great trip.

2 comments:

  1. That was a fun meal... thanks for helping out... so tell me... how has your pasta making turned out??
    Thanks for the Pictures, Roberta was looking for a picture of the finished product... I'll direct her to the website...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an honor to join the Italian pasta queens in the ravioli making. Thanks for allowing me to participate!
    As for my pasta making experience... I made my first batch on Wednesday the 29th and it was a success! Although, there is a learning curve to how much you have to knead the dough and how many times you have to put it thru the press. I'm sure the next batches will improve every time. The other thing that I realized is that you really need 4 hands to work a pasta press. Since Pat was working, I went about this task on my own, which was a bit of a chore. However, the end product was so tasty, it was worth all the work. The leftovers were very good for 4 days or so, but after that didn't really stand up to the super fresh pasta. Lessons learned: the more hands, the better and the more mouths to feed the first round, the better. So thank you, thank you for my wonderful new toy! I will be making wonderful pasta for years to come.

    ReplyDelete