Thursday, May 28, 2009

Stone Fruits

Stone fruits are those fruits that have hard pits, the most common being peaches, nectarines, plums, and apricots.

If you'd like to make a wonderful pancake or waffle (or ice cream) topping, find yourself a variety of stone fruits, slice them down and toss the pits, put them into a bowl or container with a small pinch of fresh mint, a few sprigs of lemon verbena, and plenty of sugar.

Leave the mess out on a counter for an hour or two, and the sugar will masticate the water out of the fruit, and soon enough you'll be left with a delicious gooey fruit compote. Stir it up and remove the sprigs and twigs and enjoy.

I learned that all things equal, all of the stone fruits at their ripest, drippiest best, my favorite would be...nectarines. Peaches are great, and I love apricots (the book Eat Right for Your Blood Type told me that apricots will provide the necessary potassium that I'd be losing by avoiding bananas as per my Avoid list for being type A), and we grew up eating unripened plums...but the subtle difference between peaches and nectarines becomes less subtle when both are extremely ripe, and I lean towards the nectarine.

No comments:

Post a Comment