Monday, February 14, 2011

Super Bowl Notes

A week and a day has passed since thw Man from Chico beat the Dirtbag Rapist in the Super Bowl in Arizona...

That's a silly and unfair comparison, since both teams had outstanding defenses all year.

There was a time when I rather liked the Pittsburgh Steelers. Back when the Packers had a young gun-slinger named Favre and they beat the 'Niners regularly, I became a fan.

When Aaron Rodgers, the current quarterback for the Pack, took the team on a tear down the stretch of the regular season I was telling people to watch them. They're going to be tough, and that this season was all about the ascension of Aaron Rodgers, the Man from Chico.

When they beat the crap out of Mike Vick and Philly, I claimed that the Super Bowl was going to be Rodgers and the Pack over Brady and the Pats; Rodgers needed to have a legitimate opponent in order to truly ascend.

When it was all said and done, it was Roethlisberger and the Steelers, which counts almost the same.

Corrie and I watched the Super Bowl with our friend Sam, who's visiting, and some of his people out at a Nintendo developer's house. There were tiny bets made on many things...first posession, first score, the over/under on the amount of time in seconds that Christina Aguilera would hold on the word "brave"...even the over/under on the age of Big Ben's next victim, which is in poor taste at best.

One thing I've noticed, having heard a variety of morning radio shows at my morning job, and spoken with many fans of American football, is that most people have no trouble voicing their dislike of Ben Roethlisberger and his alleged sexual assault. Nowhere on television do you ever hear that; those guys spend billions on football, and bad press could hurt their return. I had been nervous that other media outlets and even the random guy in the bar might all just ignore it, forget about it, sweep it under the rug...not so.

How many Super Bowl Championships did Brett Favre bring to Green Bay? The same number as Aaron Rodgers.

1 comment:

  1. I missed the Super Bowl this year... I was in Savannah, but the time I got to my room it was half time, I slept through the second half... BUT I do know it was not held in Arizona this year but the Big D.... other than that, I agree with most of what you said...

    ReplyDelete