Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Halloween Coda

Halloween is for only a pair of segments in this country: little kids and the drinkers who like to get dressed up. This past Monday Corrie and I enjoyed our evening of making dinner and watching a scary movie with the constant interruption of our buzzing doorbell. (We put the movie on after we turned off our light and were done for the evening.)

For those little kids out with the parents, all dressed up, Halloween is like a precursor to Christmas: gift time. In this case a great many random people you've never met are giving you edible prizes, and not just edible, but candy!

It was almost as fun for us giving out the candy as it was for the kids getting it. I imagine, anyway. How old are we, enjoying chilling at home and traipsing the stairs every few minutes for kids?

Here's a picture of our door and a close up of the sign we needed to put up, just to make it clear. I like how the stairs are visible due to the stairwell light and the porch light being on the same circuit.




The movie we watched was Phantasm II. I bought a four-pack horror/cult collection a few months ago, and Phantasm II was one of the movies...not Phantasm, or Phantasm III, just number II. I watched it alone a while back, and described it as totally weird and out-there for Corrie when we discussed which scary movie to watch.

I don't really consider us owning any truly scary movies. I was talking with my brother Dan, who's writing a list of ten of the scariest movies for a website, and I realized that I'm not sure I could come up with ten movies I find really scary. I guess I've never really been into them as a cinema fan. I can't wait to see his list, though.

I should check out Poltergeist...

Back to our movie...it had some startling moments, a flying shiny chromium orb that cuts ears off before boring through bodies, a negative-image universe where funky Jawa-like creatures are hatched, a badguy only known as the Tall Man, and a scene where hydrochloric acid is used inadvertently as an embalming fluid.

You know, summing it up like that made me realize that, out of context, Phantasm II was pretty bad-ass for a stupid Halloween movie. It probably helped that we didn't know how the story started, or ends, and just got the unmitigated weirdness of the middle.

That's how life is sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment