Friday, June 12, 2009

Quick Vineland Note

This is a quick Vineland note, something that one of my few readers, namely Norm, might care or know about...

You mentioned the Traverse family name being thrown around in Vineland, and when I got to it, I started doing some mental exercises...

Sasha, Frenesi's mom, is the character who's father was Jess Traverse. Sasha remembers Frenesi being born after the end of WWII, which marks Sasha's own birth around the end of WWI, which makes Jess a contemporary of Reef, Frank, and Kit...maybe a cousin?

Before I started to really think about it, I thought maybe Jess could be a kid from Kit and Dally, but that would screw up the time scheme. Maybe Reef knocked someone up as a young teen?

The fact he was an organizer of the logging-labor is telling as to how Pynchon felt he was to use the Traverse family...

Let me know, Mr. Norm, if you run across any Slothrops in Mason & Dixon.

No comments:

Post a Comment