Sunday, March 13, 2011

Holy Cow! Japan...

I got to work the other day and somebody said (in reference to our upcoming move) "Wow...hopefully there's a California to get too, huh?"

I was totally in the dark. I hadn't been on line yet, and since we don't have cable, we're pretty much unplugged from the news cycle. They pointed me to the television tuned to CNN.

Oh. Now I know. Japan had the most massive earthquake in their recorded history and a tsunami came through and pulverized a swath of landscape from which maybe only the Japanese would be able to recover quickly. The footage, though, of the tsunami--maybe I should say "wave of crushed houses and cars"--is frighteningly spectacular.

I've heard that this quake and tsunami, while quite destructive, probably won't achieve Japan's personal record for largest insurance bill accrued from an earthquake. That record, they believe, will be safe with the last major quake, in Kobe. The main reason being that this quake occurred eighty miles out to sea and the closest city was still smaller than Kobe.

Still, we're talking about 200,000+ without homes. While that is tragic, it's better than the 250,000+ dead in that last tsunami in So. East Asia in 2004.

I would imagine that Japan has the ability, money, and ingenuity to come back from this disaster stronger than before.

My coworkers were speaking about the tsunami reaching California's coast. At one point I read a bottom ticker on CNN saying that four people have been swept out to sea in Crescent City, along the northern coast. Maybe it wasn't on CNN, because I haven't heard about that from other sources...it might have been the ticker on the other news channel playing at work, you know, the channel where accountability does not exist...I couldn't get them to change it...

1 comment:

  1. Yes, folks were swept out to sea in Crescent City, one man is still missing he was on the beach taking pictures of the event.... Really not the brightest idea to have, perhaps being on higher ground would be been a better idea, but that's just me...... the other plus with Japan is the money (if you choose to donate) will most likely get to the people and not line the pockets of the government as it is doing in Haiti... now to watch the fall out literally and figuratively with their nuclear power plants...

    ReplyDelete