Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Represent Brooklyn (NCAA Note)

Brooklyn!

As the NCAA basketball tournament rolls into it's second day with the televised (and gimmicky) "First Four" games, the brackets finally show up, conversations are had and overheard, and choices are made.

Today I implore those of you who pay attention to the annual March Madness, and even those of you who don't particularly care, to at least note the opening game of the historical powerhouse program North Carolina.

UNC, Michael Jordan, Chapel Hill, the Tarheels...their tradition is known even to casual college basketball fans.

Their first game this year though they'll lose to a collection of ballers from the Brooklyn Campus of LIU.

Long Island University's coach is upset that his team was disrespected with a 15-seed, considering they have one of the top ranked schools in the nation in scoring, rebounds, assists, field-goal percentage, and the longest current winning streak in the nation. I believe they'll be motivated to make a statement...well, they are motivated, whether that translates into a big upset...

So when the Blackbirds win, you can say you heard it here first. If they lose, I'll eat some crow. (See what I did there?)

Bed-Stuy, Bed-Stuy!

Brooklyn!

1 comment:

  1. Okay this game is Friday night at 4:15 for me.. I'll try to keep tabs on it during the day and till I get home... Go Brooklyn!!! that would be a pretty big upset as UNC is a powerhouse... When I lived in Foster City our upstairs neighbors were Tarheels... I remember they had a bumper sticker on their car... about God and the sky being Tarheel blue... maybe your dad can remember it word for word...

    ReplyDelete