Wednesday, March 30, 2011

New Orleans: The Quarter

Since Corrie hadn't been to New Orleans, the French Quarter was a destination for us on our journey. I have a post about spending some time in the Quarter in 2009. This trip cemented my affection for New Orleans as a destination to visit in the future. The city reminds me of a black jazzy American Berlin--fun, energetic, drunk, loud and bustling.

Before arriving in the Lower 9th, we got sidetracked and had to make a quick jaunt down a small street and drove directly into a large block party. Police cars were driving at us slowly, me, inching the Passat with three white folks in it past the throngs of revelers and peaceful police...it reminded me of Bed-Stuy.

After the drive in the outer ward, we made our way to the Quarter. Corrie took this picture of the juxtaposition of the dense French/Spanish streets and the New Orleans downtown skyline.



I was told a story by someone not named Tony about Tony having to take a nickname while out on a rig, and happened to use Caliboy, a reference to his (and my) homeland. I thought it was cool, two guys from California picking "caliboy" as a moniker independently of each other, as a way of stating something about who they are in a way that means something to people living outside the Golden State. So, even if this picture's blurry, here are two caliboys for you, caliboys in New Orleans.



I like this drain detail, obviously a remnant of the older days when the drains and gutters like these ran all throughout the neighborhoods.



The next two pictures are of what are called "Second Lines". I had to make an inquiry of my New Orleans pals about what the hell had been going on: a random late night parade? Well, actually, yeah, was the answer. Saturdays are rowdy days of the week, and a parade here or there usually spawns Second Lines, groups of brass instrument players who lead a group of (usually drunken) paraders in their tow. Whether or not the Second Lines happen anywhere around the vicinity of the original parade is inconsequential, which makes them quite fun. Police cars usually bring up the rear, even late on a Saturday night.





The Second Line we witnessed late in the night and took pictures of was on Toulouse Street. Another thing on Toulouse St. that I needed to photograph was the following cool gas lanterns, still in use at the inn across the street, and visible in the two Second Line pictures above.



Finishing off the evening, I tried to set up my ISO level (the shutter to stay open longer to let in more light) so I could capture the shadow of the onion spire against that particular building. This was on the walk back to the car after the days festivities.

1 comment:

  1. love the Caliboys picture the gutter down the center of the street... sewage move down there in the previous century? where did the gutter head to? the gulf? the lake? very cool idea however.. Some day I do want to visit this town...

    ReplyDelete