Friday, March 4, 2011

Quick "Modern Family" Notes

Now that my two jobs have been upgraded to one job, and my hours swing between day and night, I have been able to spend a few evenings around our apartment. On one of the evenings recently I watched one of Corrie's new favorite shows, Modern Family.

The show is funny and smart, in general, and a scene in this particular episode is what I'm going to post about; actually it was in the background.

For those unfamiliar with the show's characters, one of the starring couples is gay and have adopted a little girl. In this episode they decide to write a children's book about the adoption, and on a trip to the bookstore, they learn that that particular market is saturated. It was in this scene, when they are visiting the bookstore, that the particular thing caught my attention.

Prominently displayed behind the couple, centered if slightly blurry, was a copy of Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon. This is a book I read while maintaining this site, updating my other Norm about it as I went, since we both were reading it.

Also, this is a book that would not normally be prominently displayed. Maybe it should be, but I'd guess that it wouldn't. That tells me that either the writing staff or the production designers wanted it in the frame, and had it placed there.

If that's not the case, I'd like to visit any bookstore that displays that particular fifteen-year-old difficult novel.

1 comment:

  1. I too am a fan of Modern Family. I don't know why exactly as I'm not normally a fan of comedies. I didn't catch the book on this weeks show, I'll try to grab it on Hulu or one of the other download sites. Are you Banksy? Your current background could suggest that....

    ReplyDelete