Monday, March 14, 2011

Martine House

I'm not sure how to start this post. On Public Broadcasting the other day I caught a few moments of artistic work that was as surprising in its intricate beauty as it was utilitarian in its product.

You start with blocks, and you need a solid and soft-to-the-touch backing, and between the blocks and backing you need a soft batting. The blocks I'm talking about are made of fabric. These instructions are for making a quilt. Quilting. I'm not sure I would have ever written a post about quilting.

That is until I saw a tiny segment about world-class French quilt artist named Martine House.

The work she does with needles and thread boggles the mind. You can check out her gallery here. Please do.

At some point what Martine does becomes a stitched sculpture and ceases resembling anything we'd call a quilt. Other points she has the most wild and beautiful stitch work on rectilinear projects that most likely satisfy our criteria for "quilts".

Public broadcasting folks; it's the best.

1 comment: