Monday, March 14, 2011

Is it Comical or Sad?

Sometimes I wonder how to take the tiny snippets of news I get from the world of Spring Training baseball. A few years ago I was at some Spring Training games in Arizona, where I got to shock my mom and grandfather with my newly shorn hair.



Donny-Baseball? Maybe next to Doug...



After the games we hit up some ruins.



Every year there will be some crazy bit of news that comes in the Notes section of any coverage (the only spot actual news appears, as I've mentioned before) like a picther on my team beaning a teammate during a bp session:

Yankees outfielder Greg Golson was hit in the helmet by an A.J. Burnett pitch during batting practice on Sunday and was excused from workouts on Monday. Manager Joe Girardi said Golson should resume workouts on Tuesday and could play on Wednesday at the earliest...



Sometimes I think how would something like that would effect a young man--beaning your own player. In this case, for Burnett, he's been having a rather good spring adjusting his pitching mechanics.

Here's one that I couldn't help but be torn between laughing or, well, or you make the call:

""Calf strain to cost Belliard at least a week
CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Yankees infielder Ronnie Belliard was scratched from Sunday's 7-3 win over the Phillies with a right calf strain and will miss more than a week of action, manager Joe Girardi said.

Belliard, who will turn 36 in April, was injured while fielding a ball during batting practice and had to be removed from the lineup. Prospect Brandon Laird started at third base in Belliard's place.

A non-roster invitee to Yankees camp, Belliard batted .216 with two home runs and 19 RBIs in 82 games for the Dodgers last season. He showed up this spring noticeably heavier than he had been with Los Angeles.""

Here's an old ball-player, barely invited to camp, showing up fat, and hurting himself during batting practice.

D'oh!

1 comment:

  1. boy did I get far behind in posting to your blog... sheesh... well this year at Spring Training I missed having you around... but I did have company and we did have great seats... however my teams managed to show badly at every chance they had.... I was saddened to see that St Louis coach Luis Salazar lost an eye after a foul ball got him in the dugout, those things come off the bat so fast he didn't have time to react apparently...
    I took Richard to the ruins this spring... we had a nice walk I was in better shape this time so it wasn't as difficult... thank God.... My dad is very excited to have you so close.... we both look forward to your move to California

    ReplyDelete