Friday, June 3, 2011

500! 500? 500...

This is my 500th post! Holy cow.

I started this blog site many moons ago, back in April of 2009, in an effort to collect a tiny bit of ad revenue. I proceeded to screw that up, but kept up with the writing exercise that is this site, and documented various things I encountered during the adventure of life these past few years.

In New York and Brooklyn I talked about food, the Yankees, roller derby, films, the weather, and all sorts of nonsense I would look up while not able to sleep. I posted pictures of trips in and around the City as well as to the further afield areas of America. The title I'd given to the blog, "A California Child Back East", was to represent my specific goal for the blog; the interpretation of New York from a decidedly different perspective. People out there could tell I wasn't from the vicinity, and once they heard I was from California, they all sort of nodded, as if they already knew.

The name of the URL, "caliboyinbrooklyn", came from an earlier attempt to capitalize on writing. I'd found a site that I didn't stick with, and in fact posted some homework assignments on and never returned to, where when I was forced to name my screen-name, I went with caliboy, since I was new to Brooklyn (I was working at the time) and the East Coast, and felt like that was a good description and title of who I was and what I guess I represented. I went back to the site a few years after starting it and found the same conservative ass talking trash in the response area to each of my college aged bleeding-heart homework assignment essays. It made me laugh.

When I chose the URL for here I thought, well, caliboy alone isn't exactly right, but this is in a way a sequel to that format, so it should be involved...I added the "inbrooklyn" part to 1) further show the purpose of the site as I saw it; and 2) to give a shout-out to Brooklyn, as anyone living there is wont to do.

"A California Child Deep in Texas" was the change I made to signify that we were now living in Austin, Texas, and while I wanted it to be "...Deep in the Heart of Texas", it just wouldn't fit. By then the site was serving the same purpose; travel, food, sports, activities, but as I was working, and then working two jobs, the level of posting diminished. I do really enjoy a few of the Texas posts, they make me laugh and smile and think, and sometimes all three simultaneously.

"...Makes it Home" is the new one, and I do feel like I made it home. While I might not have picked the LA area if given money and a free pass anywhere in the State, I must say that I do love where we live right now very much. I never would have thought that I could say that about a city in the Los Angeles megopolis, but here we are.

"Life in the Southern Ten" was what I was going to change the blog's name to, but that only barely makes sense to Californians, as in southern 10 counties of CA, which is, again, part of the purpose of this blog, what I'm trying to do as an outsider. The analogy, though, won't reach my few readers outside the state in the manner I'd want.

Through it all has been Corrie at my side, helping, laughing, crying, yelling, giving notes, and, above all, being supportive.

Thanks Baby.

An old picture of us from before we left for the East Coast, back when my hair was long and frizzy, one of my favorites from the time, from Sequoia Park in February of '05:



Happy D Everybody! Happy D (the Roman numeral for 500)! Thanks for keeping up with it. Here's to another half-thousand!

No comments:

Post a Comment