Monday, June 13, 2011

Botanical Garden of San Luis Obispo

Ryan's graduation party was at El Chorro Park, across from the southern entrance to Cuesta College. At El Chorro park besides hiking, camping, and day functioning, you van visit the SLO Botanical Garden. Corrie and I took a break from the celebrations to check out the areas. We got some funny looks from other patrons when we were on all fours and rubbing different herbs and plants on our hands and faces.

It all started with this first plant, the Coyote Mint. I'd never seen it before, so I started to touch it, working the essential oils into my hands so I could get a sense of how it smells/tastes. Very nice, quite similar to oregano and marjoram.



Next to it the exotic looking Hummingbird Sage. Also very nice, and seemed to blend well with the Coyote Mint.



The Brown Sage was next, but by then our sniffers were a little overwhelmed, and the nuance between the Hummingbird and Brown was present but not strong.



This is Mogwort, which is a cool name and sounds like out of one of the popular wizard books, but it was intense in smell. It was powerful enough to break through the sage and mint/oregano from before.



This is one of the mallows. Marshmallows, the puffy food like sugar cube, has a light and distinct flavor. That flavor comes from mallow plants, and this is in the same family. Consequently, this plant smells just like a pile of marshmallows, but only when you get your face right into the thing.



And then we got to this plant, the Teddy Bear Weed, I mean the Stuffed Animal Plant, I mean Lamb's Ear. Holy moly. This was like nothing I've ever seen. It was so soft, it was like some child's toy made in some wealthy Scandinavian country. This was the one when people started to look at us funny. I had a hard time controlling myself, what with my love of fabrics and other things soft.



We're not really sure about the rest of the Botanical Garden; we left to get water and didn't make it back. It was compact and varied, though, which is nice and typical of the flora in San Luis Obispo area.

No comments:

Post a Comment