Friday, June 10, 2011

We Lost One

After seeing some strange activity on Facebook, I figured I'd have to break down and ask some folks what has happened.

A young man I worked with in Austin, Luis Medina, has passed. He drowned in the Comal River after jumping from a tree branch and not resurfacing.

The Comal is a slow, rather beautiful, meandering creek centered in New Braunfels, a city between Austin and San Antonio. It is the place where Tubing takes place. You park your car in one spot in town, rent the tube(s) (usually one for you and one for your beer), and then walk a short half-mile or so to the launch site, and ride the tube for a few hours as it chills in a circular pattern around the town, dropping you off near the tube rental hut. The public consumption laws are either relaxed, non-existent, or, most likely, not enforced.

The pace is so slow that a tuber would be able to jump off, slosh over to the side, climb a tree, and jump from a limb while friends watched. In fact, I myself have seen it happen on my one trip.

Officials say that an investigation is still open. This just happened this past Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment