Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Moving into the Digital Era

We finally broke down and got smart phones. Why put up a post about this? Well, I had a crazy theory...

My old phone, a Nokia whatzit, started to fritz out on me, claiming that it couldn't register my SIM card. Then it would say that there was no SIM card inserted in the phone, and I would curse about inserting something somewhere. Some days were better than others, but generally I couldn't get my phone to make calls for most of the waking day. This was all before we left Texas.

Eventually Corrie switched me phones by switching our SIM cards; I had her phone with my number, and she vice versa. This seemed to solve the problem of me not getting calls, but created whole new problems, like us having to listen for the other's ringtone...basic reconditioning. Always tough for (sorta) old dogs.

Side by side:



Now, we switched for a few reasons. The first was that we had decided to procure new phones soon, after arriving in California, and it seemed like smart phones would make more sense--why go out of our way to get new phones if they couldn't do things we're not accustomed to doing anyway? That may not make much sense, but the fact remained that if the deal was right, smart phones would be in our future.

A second reason was that with the impending AT&T takeover of T-Mobile, our former carrier, we decided to get out early, having no plans to be on the AT&T network. Since Verizon screwed Corrie over once before, they were out as well. We decided to go with Credo Mobile, a carrier that donates their political resources to progressive causes and candidates. The family plan we're on is slightly cheaper for the same services we would've been getting from T-Mobile after making the switch to smart phones, and our phones were free, which was nice because they were priced over three-hundred bucks.

My crazy theory was that since I used my Nokia cell-phone as my alarm clock, housing it under my pillow as I slept, that the quantum activity of my wild dreaming state eventually burned out the connection between my SIM card and original phone. That's why I think my card worked n Corrie's phone, and why her card worked in mine; it was the connection...or something like that, quantum dream-time energy and basic electronics battling...

No comments:

Post a Comment