Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Been thinking about it...

I remember I had this silent video I took with my old camera (when it was my regular camera).

Firstly, I'm testing my blog site's ability to post video. Secondly, I realized that almost no one has ever seen this video, and that it exists as an artifact to a time that even I watched change.

What you'll see when you watch it (assuming that you'll bother to): in a nutshell I filmed myself going on the secret yet often used route from a remote food preparation area to the even more remote walk-in refrigerator. For a time I worked on the grounds of St. Bart's Byzantine Cathedral in Manhattan. On 50th and Park Ave, it was across the street from the Waldorf Astoria hotel in the wealthiest ZIP code in America. Before our new kitchen was finished, we had a service kitchen, with range tops, ovens, fryers and sinks; and a prep room where we could do our prep work. The walk-in, prep-room, and service kitchen were on three different levels in the bowls of a century old Manhattan cathedral.



One wrong turn once led me to a regular detour later; around a couple of dark corners, getting almost lost, you find yourself coming out onto the pulpit in a darkened manmade cavern.

This video starts with a view outside our tiny window up high in the building, then proceeding out where everyone used to smoke (on the stairs), then down to a rooftop, looking in on offices next door (I even steal a look back up at the stairs and door), then down some other stairs (even seeing myself briefly in the reflection--a white ghost) all the way down to the walk-in. The route inside was less exciting and easier to get lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment