Monday, June 13, 2011

Raul and Mary Jane



The names of these heads are, just like the title of this post, Raul and Mary Jane. These sculptures were, ahem, liberated from a creepy collection of similar heads by Ryan and myself. That was on a walk around campus late at night, somewhere between thirteen and fourteen years ago. This picture was taken some fifty hours ago, in 2011.

We were in the dorms, out exploring the nooks and crannies of Cal Poly's campus late one night and found a pile of heads. It was bizarre. We each took one, some of the more intact entries. We took them back to our dorm rooms, and kept them as items in our possession.

I'm surprised they're still intact. I think Mary Jane, my liberated head, came with me from the dorms and stayed with my stuff at Tony's folks' place in San Jose that summer, then returned to live with us in the Jungle at the Valencia Apts. It must have stayed when I moved back to Sac, ending up at Patricia, then Oceanaire, and saved by Ryan when he moved out. Raul, Ryan's head, probably had a similar journey, ending up at Patricia around the same time as MJ.

I imagine they've enjoyed a much longer life that they're creators ever would have imagined.

1 comment:

  1. I remember Mary Jane.... I always thought her to be an odd bird.. :)

    I'm happy they are back together again...

    ReplyDelete